Monday, June 11, 2012

Better not be naked! (Part-1)

The heads were done and I was thinking of something  I could do about them. "Time to take it to the higher level!", I said to myself.
The next level was to cover the finished head with a certain fabric as the "skin" for the puppet. This was like a giant step for me, because I absolutely had to learn a lot about fabrics and how to sew fabrics.
First thing first!
Looking for the perfect fabric for the skin is very important. Since I was a big fan of The Muppets and Sesame Street, I decided to use the fleece fabric to cover my puppets. Why? Because that was the kind of fabric used by most of the puppets in The Muppets and Sesame Street. And to be more specific, it was the Antron Fleece.
But here in my country, Indonesia, it was not that easy to find that typical fleece, even in a metropolitan city like Jakarta. It took me a while to finally locate the store that sold such fleece fabric. It was in the heart of Jakarta, a well-known location to buy textiles and garments called Pasar Tanah Abang. Previously, I went to another textiles and garments market in southern Jakarta, called Pasar Cipadu, but couldn't find such fleece.
What could be a problem was that, the seller did not call the fabric as "FLEECE". Instead, they called it "Kain Emen". Perhaps it was not quite the same with the Antron Fleece, but at least it had some similarities to the Antron, so I decided to use it anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment